The U3A movement in New Zealand is a collection of local U3A organisations who all support the general aims and directions of providing life-long learning opportunities for their members in their ‘third age’ using the skills of their members gained during their ’second age’.
U3A Port Hills was established in 2006 and had been an outstanding success ever since. The group is designed to appeal to those over 55 and there is no upper age limit for membership.
Over 80 people attend our Monthly Meetings and value this meeting and our Interest Groups which vary in size from 4 to 22 members per session.
Please note that we are in the Traffic Light system at the Orange Level.
This means that U3A Port Hills interest and study groups can meet provided that the health safety requirements are met and that particpants are fully vaccinated. This will be at the discretion of the group coordinator. If in doubt, members should consult with their coordinators.
Full Wednesday meetings at St Martins Presbyterian Church will proceed while our committee deems it safe but only in accordance with conditions required to comply with Orange Level guidelines. We will continue to ask that attendees be fully vaccinated and maintain social distancing, Mask wearing is still required at our meetings. We are being cautious because of the vulnerability of our age group.
- We will practise appropriate social distancing.
- We ask that attendees be fully vaccinated, though vaccine passes are not now required.
- You must wear a facemask!
- You must stay away if you are unwell!
The Omicron variant of Covid is much more transmissible and the risk of infection is significantly higher. You must decide for yourself the level of risk that you are comfortable with when mixing socially. Watch this space for updates!
This can still be a very difficult time for us all, so don't feel that you are alone! Help is at the other end of a phone!
- The dedicated Covid helpline can be reached on 0800 355 5453 or for general health concerns 0800 611 116. All medical services are still operating so if you need them - ring them.
- For Lifeline ring 0800 543 354
- Need to talk to a professional? Dial 1737 for free counselling services.
- Aged Concern (Canterbury) offer a number of support services and they can be reached on 366 0903
Or If you just want a friendly person for a chat then some of our committee members can be reached on their numbers published in the September 2021 Newsletter available on this website.
This is an ever-evolving situation and you would be wise to check this website regularly for updates.